Walker joins mayoral race against Holden
Term-limited Metro Councilman and Mayor Pro Tem Mike Walker ended months of speculation about his future plans this morning, sending out an email to his supporters confirming what most had already assumed: He will try to take the job of his one-time ally, Mayor Kip Holden, in the election this fall. Walker says he and his wife, Marie, will formally announce his candidacy and campaign platform at 1:30 p.m. Wednesday at Cortana Mall. "During our announcement, I will lay out my plans for ending a culture of crime in our parish, stopping the erosion of public education in East Baton Rouge Parish public schools, and encouraging small business growth by stopping silly city-parish regulations that currently hinder job creation," Walker says in his email. "My experiences in life have prepared me to lead our community. Together, we can bring our parish back from the edge, chart a new way forward, and build a bright future for your family and mine." Walker's announcement brings to three the number of candidates who have formally announced a run for Holden's job. Jim Mayer, who's in the midst of closing his fine clothing store, Mayer Co. Clothiers, after 26 years in business on South Sherwood Forest Boulevard, announced his candidacy Monday. Gordon Mese, a newcomer to politics and owner of Garden District Nursery, was the first to throw his name in the hat back in November. Read a Business Report story from October about Walker's expected candidacy here.
comments powered by Disqus
Real estate recap: DPW reorganization recommendations coming … Capital Region home sales post 5% gain in February … WWII bombing range near Hammond at center of new lawsuit
In Costco we trust